Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
U.S. Citizen Services


Important Reminder: Starting January 5, 2015 the Embassy in Kuala Lumpur requires appointments for all routine notary and passport services. Please bring your appointment confirmation sheet and arrive at the embassy 10 minutes before your appointment time. 

Please visit our website at: to make an appointment for all services including notary services, authentications, passport renewals, Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and additional visa pages.

Those people picking up passports, Federal Benefits checks/ correspondence, or submitting additional information in relation to a Consular Report of Birth Abroad do not need to make an appointment.

For emergency services, questions or additional information, contact us via e-mail at or call 03-2168-5000 (from within Malaysia) or 60-3-2168-5000 (from outside Malaysia)

We also encourage all Americans residing or traveling abroad to register with the nearest U.S. Embassy.  The service is free and fast, and allows us to get in touch with you in an emergency, and provide information on security conditions and upcoming events of interest to Americans. You can help ensure your own security by monitoring this site and U.S. Department of State's travel website for updated information about conditions in Malaysia and around the world.

- Passport renewal / second U.S. passport / adding visa pages 

- Hours of service and location 

- Contact details 

- Register with the Embassy

- Document your child as an American citizen

- Notarize a document

- Federal benefits

- Death of an American citizen in Malaysia

- Arrest of an American citizen in Malaysia

- Internet scams

- Voting in U.S. elections

Still cannot find what you are looking for? Check our A to Z index. 


  • After December 31, 2015, there will be no more extra visa pages added to U.S. passports. Instead, 52-page passport books will be issued at no extra cost to U.S. citizens applying from outside the United States. Read more!

Register with the Embassy

  • Register with the Embassy Whether you reside in Malaysia or are just visiting, please consider registering with the U.S. Embassy.
  • Can you travel on your passport?
    Many countries require that your U.S. passport have as much as 6 months validity remaining for entry. If you passport doesn't have the required validity, your vacation could become a staycation! Watch this VIDEO!

Scam Alert!

  • Scam Alert! Beware of scams! Don’t send money to people you haven’t met in person claiming to be in trouble in Malaysia.  Click here for more info.

USG Spotlight

  • Updated website for U.S. taxpayers overseas, with basic tax information plus links to other topics such as:

    • foreign earned income exclusion
    • reporting foreign bank accounts
    • Fulbright grants
    • and much more.

    Visit the IRS website for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.