Important Reminder: Starting January 5, 2015 the Embassy in Kuala Lumpur requires appointments for all routine passport services. Please bring your appointment confirmation sheet and arrive at the embassy 10 minutes before your appointment time. Make an appointment through our website at: https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=KLL&appcode=1
All applicants for U.S. passports must apply in person. The Consular section can neither receive applications nor return passports by mail.
Except in cases of genuine emergency requiring immediate travel, U.S. passports are produced in the United States and sent to our Embassies/Consulates overseas by express mail. For that reason, it takes about two weeks for passport applications to be processed. Please apply far enough ahead of your planned trip to receive your new passport in time. Travel for tourism or business is not a sufficient reason to issue an emergency passport.
If you have a bona fide emergency and need to travel immediately, please email us at email@example.com.
We will not cancel your existing passport until your new one arrives. But consider: (a) Malaysian authorities occasionally deny entry to foreigners whose passports are not valid for at least six months. (b) You may need to have your Malaysian visa, entry stamp or residence card re-issued after receipt of a new passport. This may take significant time.
Please Note: All children under 16 who apply for U.S. passports must appear in person together with both parents. The child's birth certificate listing both parents' names is also required. Other documentation may be requested.
Also Note: When traveling, we recommend you carry a photocopy of your passport separately from your passport. In the event of loss or theft, the copy will facilitate issuance of an emergency passport.
Application Instructions: (Note: We do not process passports in Malaysia by mail. If the instructions below tell you to mail your passport or application, that is directed towards applicants that are in the US. All applicants for U.S. passports in Malaysia must apply in person.)
- General Passport Information
- First-Time Applicants
- Passport for a Minor (under age 16)
- Renew Your Passport (age 18 and over)
- Replacing a Lost or Stolen Passport
- Replacing a Mutilated or Damaged Passport. Follow the instructions for first-time applicants; bring the damaged passport and be prepared to explain the circumstances causing the damage.
- Correcting or Changing Information in Your Passport
- Second U.S. passport
- Adding Visa Pages to a Passport
- Replacing a Limited Validity Passport
- Family and Children's Passport Issues
If you already know the forms you need, you can access them directly:
- DS-11 -- First time applicants, minors, applicants replacing lost/stolen/mutilated passports
- DS-82 -- Adult renewals
- DS-3053 -- Consent of absent parent
- DS-64 -- Statement of lost or stolen passport
- DS-4085 -- Application for additional visa pages
- DS-5504 -- Name change, data correction and replacement of limited passport
Register with the Embassy
- Whether you reside in Malaysia or are just visiting, please consider registering with the U.S. Embassy.
New and Noteworthy
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.