International Travel Information
The Department of State's International Travel Information program is the cornerstone of our efforts to keep the American traveling public aware of conditions abroad that may affect their safety and security while overseas.
Information consists of:
(1) Travel Warnings, recommending that travel to a particular country be avoided, are issued when long-term, protracted conditions make a country dangerous or unstable, or when the U.S. Government's ability to assist American citizens is constrained due to the closure of an embassy or consulate or because of a drawdown of its staff.
(2) Travel Alerts are issued when short-term conditions, such as natural disasters, terrorist attacks, coups, anniversaries of terrorist events, election-related demonstrations or violence, and high-profile events such as international conferences or regional sports events, pose imminent risks to the security of U.S. citizens.
(3) Country-Specific Information Sheets, issued for every country of the world, include such information as location of the U.S. embassy or consulate, immigration practices, health conditions, minor political disturbances, unusual currency and entry regulations, crime and security information, and drug penalties. The information sheet for Malaysia is available here.
Travelers may also obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States or outside the United States and Canada on a regular toll line at 1-317-472-2328.
A great deal of other useful information is available on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website, travel.state.gov:
- Worldwide Caution Public Announcement
- Tips for Traveling Abroad
- Planning Your Trip
- Safety Issues
- Health Issues
- Pandemic Flu Information
- Emergencies and Crises
- Travel Safety For Students
- Consular Affairs Brochures
- Living Abroad Tips
- Additional Resources
New and Noteworthy
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.